Aug 19, 2008

After a week with the iPhone 3G...

I'm fairly happy with my iPhone 3G so far. I have experienced a couple of the common issues reported by most iPhone 3G users -- poor reception and dropped call with 3G and short battery life. However, those issues have not bothered me too much. I expected issues with this phone and knew that it wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. To ameliorate those two issues, I've simply disabled 3G and occassionally charge my battery during the day.

Actually, the battery life issue isn't a major problem at all in my opinion. Or maybe it's just gotten better after a week of usage, like others have reported. I rarely charge the iPhone at night and typically charge it for a few hours during the day, which seems like enough to keep it going. Over the weekend I did not charge the phone for a little over 24 hours and I still had about 20% battery life remaining. That was with a few phone calls, email push active, and a little Google Maps and web browsing on EDGE.

So despite the iPhone's battery life being worse that competitive phones, it's still better than my crappy Moto Q from Sprint. The iPhone 3G is a much better phone than my Q in general. The 2.0 software and the fact that I've jailbroken the phone make it easy to install new applications and keep me busy by wasting time playing on the phone. It's also great to finally have cell reception at home with AT&T versus Sprint's (and pretty much all other carriers') deadzone in our neighborhood.

Apple just released the 2.0.2 software update as well, but I have yet to install it. I'm not sure how it will affect my jailbroken applications, and I haven't read any reports that state the 2.0.2 update has fixed the 3G reception issues. So I don't feel the update is worth it right now.

So all in all, I'm pretty sure I'm keeping my iPhone 3G.

2 comments:

JP said...

Brian, I heard that there were problems with the 3G chip manufacturer and that might be causing some of the issues with calls and 3G speeds. I can only hope that by the time I get my phone everything is fixed, and perhaps they will have a new model/color upgrade before Christmas!

Brian said...

I've read the reports about issues with the Infineon chip Apple used in the iPhone 3G. The hope is that the 2.1 software update will provide some kind of software fix. We'll see.